Saturday, December 13, 2008

Goodbye, Cosmo :(


Thursday and Friday, Wayne & I noticed Cosmo walking funny with his back legs out. Then we realized he was leaking urine. I felt his belly and it was enlarged so I ran him to the vet immediately late Friday afternoon. Turns out he was very sick. Our Vet explained that he did not pass the neurological exam, meaning his brain was just not telling his body what it needed to be doing. His bladder was not being emptied and the pupils of his eyes had protein floating in them and did not respond as they should to light. On top of that, she believed that he had developed a quick-spreading and fatal disease common in kittens. There are more details, but I'll spare you all of them. She recommended putting him to sleep, so that's what we decided to do. I went to visit him one last time this morning and to say goodbye. We feel so bad because we thought we had saved him from the shelter and gotten him healthy, but the poor little guy never really had a chance. It was really hard to go through this again. I found myself in the exact same exam room we were in with Bianca and it was so hard for me to be there doing it all over again. At least Cosmo got to have a home & a family who loved him for 12 days.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Lindsay - I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I do think it was a wonderful thing you did for that kitten and I know it felt loved in your home.

Sherri said...

I'm SO SORRY Lindsay! I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you. It is amazing how fast a pet can become part of the family, and how very sad we are when they are no longer with us. Thinking of you...

The Traxsons said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry Lindsay!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for all your kind words. Mason just asked about him tonight & was wondering where the kitty food went.